• I am the victim of domestic abuse. What can I do? Should I involved the police or use my solicitor?
  • What does an injunction involve in relation to domestic violence?
  • What is a Non-Molestation Order and what is an Occupation Order?
  • What do the proceedings consist of?
  • I don't think I have enough money to live on my own and I know that even if I can force my husband out of the house, I cannot afford to stay there because he won't pay anything anymore. What can I do?
In 2004, due to John's experience and technical knowledge, he achieved the distinction of Accreditation as a Family Law Specialist on the Resolution Panel (formerly the Solicitors Family Law Association) for Domestic Abuse, due to his experience and technical knowledge. He has also sat on a number of Domestic Violence Forums throughout his 18 years as a solicitor.

If you are experiencing violence or the threat of violence from your partner, we can advise you about the options available to you and, if applicable, your children. Injunction proceedings can be issued quickly to provide you with the protection of the court.

It may be that proceedings can be instituted by the police for harassment (under the Protection from Harrassment Act 1997) and this will save you a great deal of time and expense. If the police are unable to take any action on your behalf, John has extensive experience of contested applications for Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders under Part IV of the Family Law Act 1996. He has dealt with many cases and these have been from the commencement of proceedings through to contested final hearings and even a hearing in the Court of Appeal to purge the defendant's contempt following his committal to prison.

In cases where the victim of abuse is financially dependent on the abusing party, we can advise you about welfare benefits and financial claims generally. The victim cannot be expected to put up with a violent environment due to financial restraints; and we can advise you of the best course of action to take.

The law protects the most vulnerable people in society, at Blackdown Family Law Solicitors; we will act in those circumstances to protect you, or to advise you if an allegation of domestic abuse is made against you.

John Turner, the Principal of Blackdown Family Law Solicitors, is a highly skilled solicitor who has dealt with the consequences of separation and domestic abuse regularly since 1994. He will advise you on the most cost effective and efficient way of proceeding with any application under the domestic violence legislation and in dealing with the police, whilst taking into account all of the circumstances of your case. He understands that any separation involving aspects of domestic abuse needs to be handled with a combination of great sensitivity and achieving the required results in order to protect the client and any children concerned. He is there to help shoulder the burden for you so that you can begin the process of rebuilding your life.

Areas of Family Law Work click on the relevant link below for more information: